Students must fully complete their licensing course prior to submitting their exam application. Once your exam application is processed, the time, date, and location will be confirmed on your receipt.
Licensing exams are held in the Chardonnay Ballroom of the Best Western Hotel (15 Spectacle Lake Drive, Dartmouth, NS B3B 1X7). The Best Western hotel is offering a disounted rate of $99 per night for students requiring overnight accommodations. Contact the Best Western for details.
The licensing fee for exams is $100 + tax ($115). Students pay their exam fee by completing the credit card authorization (page 2 of the exam application).
Qualifying Period for Exams
The 2022 licensing exam schedule is as follows:
Friday, January 14th: 9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm
Friday, February 11th: 9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm
Friday, March 11th: 9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm
Friday, April 8th: 9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm
Thursday, May 12th: 9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm
Friday, June 10th: 9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm
Friday, July 8th: 1pm - 4pm
Friday, August 12th: 1pm - 4pm
Students are to arrive 30 minutes prior to their exam to allow for seating, verifying identification, passing out exams, reviewing rules, etc.
The exam schedule for September - December 2022 will be released later this year.
Accomodations for Physical and Mental Disabilities
What to Bring and Not to Bring
- Government issued photo ID
- Black or blue ink pens (pencils cannot be used to write the examination.)
Students are permitted, but not required, to bring:
- Ear plugs
- Magnifying glasses
- Watch (smart watches are not permitted.)
Students are not permitted to bring:
- Cell phones or electronic devices, such as tablets, laptops or smart watches (students found to have cell phones on their person during the exam will forfeit their writing.)
- White out
Exam rules as provided by the Commission's Licensing Officer to students upon exam registration:
- Government-issued photo ID is required to write the exam.
- Bring black or blue ink pens (no pencils) and a calculator.
- Write as clearly as possible.
- The examiner is not permitted to answer questions regarding content of the exam.
- Bathroom breaks are not permitted unless applicant has a medical note from physician.
- No talking during the exam.
- Cell phones/electronic devices (tablets, translators, smart watches, etc.) are not permitted in the examination room.
- Notebooks, text books, scrap paper, backpacks, etc. are not allowed in examination room.
- Exams are not to be taken apart and are to be passed in to the examiner upon completion or allotted time elapse, along with any other handout given.
- Make sure that all personal belongings are taken by you upon leaving the examination room; Commission employees are not responsible for any items left behind
- Time allotted for exams: salesperson – 3 hours, broker – 3 hours, challenge – 2 hours
- If you are unable to write your exam, contact the Commission prior to your scheduled exam time to have your exam pulled from the list without penalty.
- All true and false or multiple choice questions only have one correct answer. If you circle one answer, but change your mind, you must clearly indicate which answer you do and do not want marked (recommended to put an X through the answer you think is wrong). If not, and you leave two or more answers circled, you will be given 0 points, even if one is correct.
- In the salesperson licensing exam, there are two sets of real estate forms. The second set is only in case you have made a mistake and want to start over fresh. (You do not have to start over, you also have the option of making corrections to the form like you would in real life.) If you use any of the second set of forms, draw a large X through the page or pages in the first set so that the marker knows which one you want marked.
- Students are alloted three hours to write the exam, but are allowed to leave as soon as they finish.
- Salesperson exams are in one piece and CANNOT be taken apart.
- Broker exams are in two pieces held together with a paperclip. The two sections can be separated from each other, but CANNOT be taken apart.
- Examiners can only answer questions about format, not content.
- Remember to complete and sign the first page.
- If you need space for math calculations or scrap paper, use the back pages (they are blank).
- If you need extra space for the essay section, draw an arrow, indiciating to the marker to flip the page, and use the back pages (they are blank).
- A calendar is provided in the salesperson exam to complete the forms section.
Passing the Exam
Failing the Exam & Re-Marks
COVID-19 Safety Measures
May Licensing Exam
Students are still required to complete the COVID-19 screening declaration. At this time, masks are strongly recommended, but not required.
When In Effect:
When the Commission is enforcing masks by students and staff, masks must be properly worn to cover the chin, mouth and nose for the duration of the exam. Students who do not comply will forfeit their writing and be asked to leave.
When the Commission is enforcing the COVID-19 screening declaration, all students must complete the screening between 12am and 4pm on the day BEFORE the exam. Declarations submitted earlier or later will not be accepted. Students must complete the declaration fully and honestly. Submitting false information or documents on this declaration may jeopardize the health of others and the student's eligibility to be licensed.
When the Commission is enforcing the requirement to provide proof of full vaccination, all students must provide proof of full vaccination to be eligible to write. Vaccination documents are submitted as part of the COVID-19 screening declaration. To be considered fully vaccinated, you must have your second dose of an approved vaccination at least 14 days BEFORE the exam. Vaccination records are not maintained by the Commission, and are deleted after verification.